An excellent restaurant, specialising in top-quality mainly-local ingredients given a modern French workover.
Russell Robertson heads a skilled kitchen team with isn't frightened to experiment and some listed dishes might include animal parts reaching from nose to tail!
An early autumn snapshot brought 'Fillet of Red Mullet with Black Rice, Wild Leek and Truffle Essence & Sauce Vierge'; 'Terrine of Ham Hock and a Parsnip 'bon-bon" of Foie Gras' and 'Velouté of White Onion, Beignet of Purple Sprouting Broccoli' listed among the starters.
'Fillet of local Beef, Carignan-Braised Shallots with Pommes Parisienne'; 'Local Texal Lamb - Cannon & Sweetbreads - Purple Carrots & Garlic Confit' and 'Sea Bass with Spring Onions Two Ways - Badji & Risotto - with Coconut Broth' among the mains. Items such as Weetabix Purée and Hot Tomato Jelly, might make an appearance.
Perhaps finish with 'Chocolate Fondant with Milk Chocolate and Hazelnut Ice Cream'; 'Lemon Meringue, Jelly & Mandarin Sorbet' or 'Baked Apple & Grapes with Brown Butter Ice Cream'.
No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.30-14.30; set L from £14.95; mains £17.50 to £19.00
- Dinner: Tues-Sun 19.00-21.30; Tasting Menu £39.50; mains £17.50 to £19.00
- Seats: 32
- Wine: an interesting French list, kicks off at £18
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Dumfries
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, 2 weeks Oct, 2 weeks Oct.