Originally built as the local manor house, in the 16th century, the building was at some stage converted into a coaching inn, a characterful village bar, a Brasserie and and first floor Gallery Restaurant.
Like the whole building, the menu covers all options, from ciabatta-filled sandwiches (at lunchtime only) to brasserie-style 'Open Raviolo with Wild Mushrooms, Spinach, Baby Leeks and Poached Egg'; 'Pork and Adnam's Ale Sausages' and 'Rump Steak Burgers'.
Starters for more ambitious eaters might include ' Mediterranean Fish Soup with Rouille, Gruyere and Croûtes'; 'Pressed Lemon and Cumin marinated Lamb and Aubergine Terrine with Tomato Couscous' and 'Caramelised Escalope of Foie Gras with Sweet Onion, Gnocchi and Pancetta'.
Local Oysters are offered in six different ways.
While mains might offer 'Dressed Local Crab, with a New Potato and Spring Onion Salad and a Lemongrass Dressing';'Fillet of English Beef, Roasted Plum Tomatoes and Chips' and 'Caramelised Calf's Liver with Celeriac Purée, Savoy Cabbage, Pancetta and Rasberry Jus'.
Perhaps finish with Crème Brulée; Treacle Tart or Apple Tart with Cinnamon Ice Cream.
Although accommodation is a major part of their operation, no children are allowed to stay overnight. Indeed badly behaved children aren't tolerated in the restaurant.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; main courses from about £13 to £22
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.00 (21.30 Fri); main courses from about £13 to £23
- Seats: 140, plus 100 outside
- Wine: an impressive wine lists kicks off at around the £20 mark, including a vast South African selection; some prestigious bottles; but some on offer at under £20, and around 20 by the glass
- Children's portions: Childrens Menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory (however there are bedrooms suitable for disabled people
- Nearest station: Kings Lynn Rail
- Directions: 3km from the A149 between Burnham and Wells. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: L 31st Dec
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available