Find this comfortable seafood restaurant on the quay, within a mile of the ferry port - on the first floor of this seaside hotel. You can enjoy views of the harbour and Stour and Orwell estuaries while you relax over your meal.
The menu is seasonal, but expect the likes of Home-Smoked Salmon with Lemon, Capers & Shallots'; 'River Deben Mussels Mariniere ' or 'Seared Mackerel on a Thai Papaya Salad with Birds Eye Chilis & Peanuts' among the starters.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Mushroom Tortellini with Truffled Pecorino, Pink Radish & Brown Butter Crumb'; 'Fish & Shellfish Frittata; 'South Coast Grilled Lemon Sole - eith Meuriere or with Bearnaise Sauce' or a variety of Steaks from the Grill.
Desserts maintain the high standard, with maybe 'Baked Black Cherry Cheesecake with Kirsch'; 'Iced Lemon and Lime Parfait with home-made Citrus Marmalade' and 'Warm Apple and Date Pudding with Toffee Sauce and Maple Syrup Ice Cream' to tempt you.
Theres a downstairs bistro Hapenny Bistro offering a less ambitious menu in a less formal setting, but is excellent for family dining.
In fine weather, you can eat outside at the Hapenny Bistro only
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Weds-Sun; 12.00-14.00; set L £20 (2 courses) to £25.50 (3 courses); mains about £15 to £26 (plus cheaper options in Bistro); L Sun £19.50
- Dinner: Weds-Sun 18.00-21.30; mains about £15 to £26
- Seats: 60, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a good list, strong on whites, kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Harwich Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon & Tues, 25th Dec
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available