Find some of the best French cooking in Wales in this minimalist split-level dining room. The atmosphere is buzzy, but that doesn't detract from the seriousness of the food.
Chef Padrig Jones offers an ambitious modern menu with the likes of 'Vine Tomato Tartare, with its own Consommé, and a Seaweed Sorbet'; 'Roquefort Soufflé with Poached Pears'; 'Oxtail Terrine with Dandelion Salad' and 'Wild Mushroom and Truffle Risotto' among the starters.
While 'Pan-fried John Dory with Artichoke Barigoule'; 'Medallions of Beef Fillet in a Green Peppercorn, Wild Mushroom and Brandy Sauce' and 'Roast Loin of Welsh Lamb with Swiss Chard and Preserved Lemon' typify the main courses.
Vegetarians aren't forgotten - perhaps 'Roasted Beetroot with Fine Beans, Celeriac Fondant, Garlic Crisps, Chervil Sauce and a Chicory and Apple Salad'.
Desserts, such as 'Hot Chocolate Fondant with Pistachio Ice Cream' maintain the high standard, and include a selection of home-made ice creams. British and French cheeses, in peak condition, are another temptation.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Tues-Sat, 12.00-14.30; set L from £20 (2 courses) to £25
- Dinner: Tues-Sat, 18.30-22.30; set D from £30 (2 courses) to £35 (3 courses)
- Seats: 60
- Wine: a mainly French wine list kicks off at £14.95
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Cardiff Queen Street Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: all Sun & Mon; 1 week Christmas/New Year; 2 weeks in Aug.
- Air conditioned