This Georgian coaching inn has become a destination restaurant under the guidance of the Blackburn's. Starters might include the likes of 'Cream of Mushroom Soup with Truffle Oil'; 'Scallops with Risotto of Butternut Squash'; 'Lambs' Sweetbreads with Pancetta and a Pear Poached in Red Wine'.
Perhaps follow with 'Rump of Lamb with a Canneloni of Sweetbreads'; 'Guinea Fowl with Curried Pea Ragout'; or 'Fillet of Gilhead Bream with a Vanilla and Cardamom Sauce and Roast Salsify'.
Maybe finish with 'Trio of Chocolate with Coffee Cream' or 'Oranges glazed in Cointreau Sabayon with Orange Sorbet'.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.00; set L £12.95 (2 courses), £15.75 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-21.00, set D £19.50 (3 courses); mains from £13.50. A Bar Menu is also offered
- Seats: 26, plus 15 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out wine list has modest mark-ups, and around 8 wines offered by the glass
- Children's portions: No
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Saxmundham
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Closed: Sun & Mon; 26th Dec; Jan 1st; Spring Half-Term; Oct Half-Term
- Outside eating
- Rooms available