This Chinese restaurant, run by the Kong family since 1982, offers a standard of cooking above that of the provincial norm; and the large airy dining room has well-spaced tables, making it ideal for business, and the best Chinese restaurant in the area.
The large menu offered includes Cantonese, Pekinese and Szechuan dishes - with five versions of squid alone.
Starters include the likes of 'Steamed Scallops', 'Crispy-Fried Won Ton's'; 'Mussels with Black Beans and chili'; 'Deep-fried Mock Duck' (for vegetarians) and a variety of satay's.
Main courses include 'Pork with Bamboo Shoots and Chinese Mushrooms'; 'Sliced Roast Duck with Celery and Satay Sauce'; 'Szechuan Seafood Hotpot' and 'Fresh whole Crab with Black Beans and Chili'.
A Sunday buffet offering 14 courses is deservedly popular. They now have a second restaurant in Cirencester.
- Food Style: Chinese
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30; mains about £8 to £29
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.30; mains about £8 to £29
- Seats: 120
- Wine: a surprisingly ambitious wine list offers good value
- Children's portions: No
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Cheltenham Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page - in town centre
- Parking: various public car parks nearby
- Closed: 25th & 26th Dec
- Air conditioned