A comfortable vegetarian restaurant high up by the castle.
Combinations are unusual, and not what many vegetarians would create at home.
Perhaps kick off with 'Fennel and Shallot Tart with Feta Cheese and Green Olives'; 'Roasted Beetroot, tossed with Horseradish and Balsamic Vinegar in a Celeriac Tuille Basket and Tomato Salsa' or 'Ginger-poached Pear with a Caper filling and Pickled Walnuts'.
Maybe 'Smoked Cumberland Cheese and Mushroom Roulade with a Tomato and Red Wine Sauce'; 'Butternut Squash and Broad Beans with Creamed Coconut, Ground Almonds and Tomato, Baked in vine leaves' or 'Caramelised Red Onion topped with Sicilian Crumbs and Crème Fraîche in a Plenta Nest and a White Wine Sauce' to follow.
Finish with 'Cointreau and Chocolate Orange Terrine'; 'Rhubarb with Toasted Breadcrumbs, Muscovado Sugar and Cinnamon' or the day's Hot Pudding.
- Food Style: Vegetarian
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 18.30-21.30; mains from £15
- Seats: 26
- Wine: an all organic wine list kicks off at around the £18 mark
- Children's portions: when possible, but no children under 5
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Maryport Rail
- Directions: near castle - see the map on this page
- Closed: L all week; all Sun & Mon; 24th-26th Dec; 1st Jan; 1 week mid Feb