An unpretentious bistro-type restaurant partly set in the citys Roman Wall. The dishes offered are adventurous and packed with modern influences.
The menu offers good value for the quality offered starters including the likes of Soup of the Day with French Bread; Raw Sashimi Tuna Tartare with Sour Cream, Chives and Soy Sauce; 'Potted Duck, Pork Belly & Spring Onion Rillette'; 'King Prawn & Crayfish Cocktail with Cherry Tomato Salad' and Lemongrass and Rocket Risotto with fresh Parmesan.
Mains, maybe Grilled Duck Breast with Blackberry and Apricot Sauce; Roast Chicken Breast with Honey and Couscous; 'Rump of Essex Lamb with Garlic Mash & Rosemary Jus' and Local Sea Trout with a Turmeric Sauce.
Perhaps finish with Raspberry Sorbet with Butter Shortbread; 'Brulée of the Day' or Dark Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce.
An atmospheric private dining room is popular for parties.
- Food Style: Bistro
- Lunch: Mon-Sat; mains about £9.50; set L £12.95 (2 courses), £15.95 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat; mains from £11.95 to £14.95; set D £14.25 (2 courses), £18.25 (3 courses)
- Seats: 80, plus 40 outside
- Wine: an adventurous wine list, offers good value and kicks off at £13.95
- Children's portions: Yes
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including ladies lavatory
- Nearest station: Colchester
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: all Sun; some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating