This top-class restaurant, in the impressive Manor House Hotel, is just the place for a special occasion or important business meal.
Chef Richard Davies has built on the kitchen's supply lines with those of his own and much of what's on offer is produced locally - some from their owm kitchen garden.
While the menu changes with the seasons, starters such as 'Pressed Terrine of corn fed Chicken and organic Goose Liver, toasted Hazelnuts and a Fig & Port Reduction'; 'Seared hand-dived Scallops, pickled Beetroot, Avocado Purée and Cauliflower Beignets' and 'White Onion Risotto, Wild Mushroom Risotto and a Cepe Cappuccino' set the style.
Maybe to be followed by 'Braised Shin of Stokes Marsh Farm Beef, Truffle Potato Purée, braised Root Vegetables and Red Wine Jus'; 'Seared Fillet of John Dory, Lobster Potato, Pea Beignet and Sauce Vierge' and 'Confit Belly and braised Cheek of Old Spot Pork, Stornoway Black Pudding, Potato Purée, Apple & Vanilla and Rosemary Jus' among the main courses.
Desserts look and are impressive, so you might be tempted by 'Glazed Orange Tart and Cardamom Ice Cream'; 'Blackberry and Apple Pudding with Blackberry Sorbet' or 'Warm Spiced Pear with an Almond Financier and Honey Ice Cream.
Cheese lovers should be impressed by their selection of local artisan varieties.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Sun-Fri 12.00-14.00; Mon-Sat set L £25 (2 courses), £30 (3 courses) - plus lighter Bar Menu; Sun set L £35
- Dinner: all week; set D £60 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £74
- Seats: 60
- Wine: an extensive list has very firm prices
- Children's portions: no children of under 11 years old at D
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Chippenham Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, adequate
- Closed: L Mon
- Rooms available