As well as being a magnate for gardeners from miles around; this restaurant - rather misleadingly styled 'café' is excellent. It's to be found, at the back of their main greenhouse, bedecked with trailing plants, weathered tables and interesting horticultural bric-a-brac.
Their short, seasonally-changing, menu brought 'Salt Cod Croquettes with Grumolo Verde, Rocket & Aioli'; 'Confit of Duck with Blood Orange & Fennel Salad' and 'Burrata with Grilled Polenta with Winter Leaves & Dried Chili' amongst February starters.
'Fillet of Beef with Potatoes, Porcini & Salsa Verde'; 'Wild Seabass with Braised Fennel & Ginger'; 'Pan-Fried Scallops with Agretti, Olives, Datterini & Chili Oil' and 'Ravioli with Spinach & Ricotta' followed on the offered mains.
A few excellent puds such as 'Lemon Posset & Yorkshire Rhubarb' and 'Chocolate Slab with Jersey Cream & Ginger Caramel' are there to tempt you at the end.
There's also a good Tea House - which offers what you'd expect from a café.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-15.00; set L £23 (2 courses), £28 (3 courses); mains about £19 to £37
- Seats: 120, plus about 100 outside
- Wine: a short wine list, kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Richmond Rail & Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: all Mon, 25th & 26th Dec
- Outside eating