Find this excellent neighbourhood restaurant in attractive modern premises that are part of a development alongside a small dock on the South East side of Battersea Bridge. The restaurant premises were converted from an old ice factory.
The menu is concise, but the dishes are varied and all the ingredients very carefully sourced. We have to confess a slight bias, as one of our inspection team spent time in the kitchen here, and Martin Lam lets nothing but the best into his kitchen or wine cellar!
The menu follows the seasons, but 'Warm Norfolk Smoked Eel Fillets with Baby Beetroot & Herb Salad and Horseradish Cream', 'Diver-caught Scallops' 'Char-Grilled Quail with a Watercress Salad, Ginger, and an Olive & Orange Salad' and 'Salad of Grilled Marinated Artichokes, Piquillo Peppers & Buffalo Mozzarella' set the style for starters.
Perhaps 'Grilled Loin of Rabbit with Creamed Leeks and Tarragon', 'Shorthorn Sirloin Steak with a Green Peppercorn Sauce' and 'Turbot with a Crab Sauce' among the mains.
Game, such as Partridge, figures during autumn and winter months.
Ensure you leave room for dessert - maybe 'Yoghurt Pannacotta with Plums poached in a Lemon Thyme Syrup'; or 'Hot Prune & Armagnac Soufflé' (worth the 20 minute wait).
Except for the house wine selection, the well-chosen wines are presented by style, giving excellent guidance, for those not Masters of Wine.
Their weekend lunch and afternoon Brunch is extremely popular, bringing out entire families, particularly in fine weather. Service is friendly and informed.
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-17.00 (Sun 15.30); set L Mon-Fri £15.50 (2 courses), set L Sun £22.50; mains from about £13 to £24; Sat & Sun Brunch
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 18.00-23.00; mains from about £13 to £24
- Seats: 54; plus 20 outside
- Wine: An excellent wine list, all made user-friendly by its layout. Prices are reasonable for the quality on offer. House wine from around £17
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Clapham Junction Rail (10 minutes by car), Sloane Square Undergound (10 minutes No.19 bus, then short walk)
- Directions: on the south side of the river, close to Battersea Bridge. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Yes, but limited
- Closed: a few days at Christmas; Aug. Bank Holiday
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating