This restaurant has been specialising in fish since its inception in 1916. Over recent years, its management had allowed it to come out of public focus and standards to decline. However, since 2005 its been under the ownership of top chef Richard Corrigan has again made it one of London's top fish restaurants. By coincidence, he first came to prominence as head chef here in the early 1990's.
Enter via the ground floor oyster bar, which also offers a shorter version of the main menu. For the complete article, step upstairs to the club-like first floor dining room, with its Edwardian atmosphere and crisp white napery.
As well as oysters, including seasonal natives, simple dishes come 'au natural' or simply-sauced, to let their true flavours to shine out. So expect top-quality smoked salmon, plus dressed crab and mussels.
More elaborate offerings might include 'Smoked Eel with Foie Gras', 'Stuffed Squid with Chorizo and Feta'; 'John Dory with Artichokes'; 'Red Mullet with Roast Butternut Squash and Spinach'; 'Monkfish with Cep Duxelle wrapped in Pastry' or simply-grilled Dover Sole.
There are a few non-fish dishes, possibly 'Goosnargh Duck with Caramelised Apple and puréed Celeriac' for those so inclined.
If you still have room, 'Fruity Trifle laced with Sherry' or 'Chocolate Tart with Seville Orange Marmalade' won't disappoint.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Mon-Fri; 12.00-14.45; set L £25 (2 courses), £29 (3 courses); Grill mains from about £20 to £48; Shellfish Platter £80
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 18.00-23.00; set D from £25 (2 courses); Grill mains from about £20 to £48; Pre-Theatre 17.30-18.45 £26 (2courses), £29 (3 courses); Seafood Platter £80
- Seats: 100
- Wine: a well-thought-out wine list, naturally strong on whites, kicks off in the high £20's
- Children's portions: Yes
- Wheelchair access: to ground floor, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Piccadilly Underground
- Directions: Swallow Street connects Piccadilly to Regent Street, near the Circus end. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street Parking, with difficulty
- Closed: Sat L; all Sun, Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned