An excellent café in an equally-good green grocer/deli. Although there are a few individual tables, most are trellis-type and have to be shared. At peak times, you queue and wait to be seated.
The day starts with the possibility of 'Home-made Muesli', 'Boiled Eggs & Soldiers', 'Crumpets with Blackberry Jam' or 'Bill's Full English Breakfast'.
The all day menu also offers a 'Fish Finger Open Sandwich with Tartare Sauce & Ketchup', 'Peppered Steak Sandwich on Foccacia' and delicious specials (which change very much with the seasons) - perhaps 'Roasted Vegetable, Feta Cheese, Oregano & Olive Pie' or 'Sri Lankan Spiced Lamb Curry'.
If you're still hungry, you can finish with 'Buttermilk Pancakes with Maple Syrup' or 'Baked Orange & Gingerbread Cheesecake with Blood Oranges & Chocolate Sauce.
Drink freshly-squeezed juices, milk shake of the day, house wine, beer or - if feeling flamboyant - cocktails.
If combined with the temptations of the shop, a visit here is worth a special trip.
- Food Style: Cafes & Tea Rooms - The Best
- Lunch: Mon-Thurs 8.00-22.00, Fri & Sat 8.00-22.30, Sun 9.00-22.00; mains about £8 to £16
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 8.00-22.00, Fri & Sat 8.00-22.30, Sun 9.00-22.00; mains about £8 to £16
- Wine: a concise list kicks off at about £15
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible, plus a small special menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Lewes Rail
- Directions: close to the river. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: public pay-and-display car parks
- Closed: all Sun and some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating