A good gastro pub offering traditional upmarket British far ranging from Shepherd's Pie to Slow-Roast Gloucester Old Spot and perhaps Suckling Pig in the summer.
They offer breakfast at the weekend with the likes of Eggs Benedict, Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs and Full English offer. While their Sunday lunch has won National awards.
Generally speaking, avoid the weekends, unless you book, or don't mind a crush; and expect firm prices!
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-16.00; (Breakfast Sat & Sun 10.00-12.00); set L Sun from £20 (2 courses) – Sun. mains £13 to £20; mains about £13 to £24
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00, Sun 18.00-21.00; mains about £13 to £24
- Seats: 100, plus about 120 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list, kicking off at around the £17 mark, travels the world
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible - plus good Children's Menu for Sunday lunch
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Angel Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Outside eating