A good gastro pub offering traditional upmarket British fare ranging from ‘Shepherd’s Pie’ & ‘Beer-Battered Fish & Chips’ through ‘Pie of the Day with Mash & Buttered Cabbage’ to ‘Slow-Roast Gloucester Old Spot’ and perhaps Suckling Pig in the summer.
They offer breakfast at the weekend with the likes of Eggs Benedict, Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs and Full English offer. While their Sunday lunch has won National awards – you can order splendid Sharing Dishes, such as ‘700gr 28 Day Aged Longhorn Rib of Beef’ and ‘Whole Slow Roast Shoulder of Lighthouse Lamb’ – but these need ordering 48 hours in advance.
Generally speaking, avoid the weekends, unless you book, or don’t mind a crush.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00, Sat 12.00-16.00, Sun 12.00-21.00; (Breakfast Sat & Sun 10.00-12.00); set L Sun from £20 (2 courses) – Sun. mains about £14 to £26; mains about £13 to £24 – plus Bar Snacks
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00, Sun 18.00-21.00; mains about £14 to £26
- Seats: 100, plus about 120 outside
- Wine: a well-chosen list, kicking off in the low £20’s, travels the world
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible - plus good Children's Menu for Sunday lunch
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Angel Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Outside eating