A good café/restaurant under the lee of Durham's Norman cathedral.
Various breakfast dishes are offered, including Full English, and as the day progresses the menu expands to include much more.
Lunchtime brings 'Homemade Soup with Crusty Bread'; 'Moules Frites in White Wine & Cream Sauce'; 'Wild Boar Sausages with Mash & Sweet Onion Marmalade Jus - plus Salads, Pasta, Pizza's & Burgers.
Whilst in the evening further ambitions might include starters such as 'Chilled Seafood Platter'; 'Homemade Terrine of Ham Knuckle in Port, Infused Double-Beef-Consommé Aspic' and 'Croquette of Manchego Cheese & chorizo with Truffle Aioli' - with maybe 'Braised Venison Osso Bucco in Chianti with Risotto & Buttered Peas'; 'Wild Mushroom Risotto' and 'Lobster Bake - whole lobster, jumbo shrimp, mussels & fresh Atlantic Crab Claws' listed in the mains.
Puds such as 'Pear Tarte Tatin with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce' complete the picture.
Soya milk and decaf options are included among their coffee options. Branch @ Yarm.
- Food Style: Budget Restaurants - the best
- Lunch: Mon-Thurs 11.00-23.00; Fri & Sat 10.00-23.30; Sun 12.00-16.00; mains about £8 to £28 (Lobster Bake)
- Dinner: Mon-Thurs 11.00-23.00; Fri & Sat 10.00-23.30; mains about £8 to £28 (Lobster Bake)
- Wine: a concise, but well-chosen, list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Durham Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page
- Closed: D Sun; some Bank Holidays