Find this excellent and smart Italian eaterie just north of Liverpool Street Station. L'Anima means 'soul' in Italian, and you can certainly have that if you book their 'pass' tables in the kitchen.
Chef Francesco Mazzei heads a kitchen team that has carefully sourced top-quality ingredients from both Britain and Italy, and specialises in modern interpretations of dishes from Southern Italy, Sardinia and Sicily.
While the menu follows the seasons, an early Spring version listed 'Black Angus Beef Carpaccio & Homemade Pickles'; 'Octopus, Cannellini Beans & Ricotta Mustia'; 'Hand-Carved San Daniele Ham with Bread & Tomato' and 'Fritto Misto Mare' among the starters.
Pasta and Risotto dishes such as 'Wild Boar Bolognese Pappardelle' and 'Masala & Duck Liver Risotto' can be taken as either starters or mains.
More substantial dishes might include 'Aubergine Parmigiana'; 'Wood-Oven-Baked Turbot with Potatoes, Olives & Sun Dried Tomatoes'; 'Slow-Roasted Black Pig Belly with N'Cantarata Sauce' and 'Liver Veneziana & Organic Polenta Bramata'.
While more simple dishes include a selection of grilled fish and meat.
Desserts are mainly of the homemade ice cream and chilled soufflé variety.
Service from crisply-dressed waiters is both professional and friendly. Be warned, prices are firm, and can run away with you unless you are careful with extras!
- Food Style: Italian
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 11.45-15.00; mains about £20 to £35
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.30-22.30, Sat 17.30-23.00; mains £20 to £35
- Seats: 80
- Wine: an impressive, mostly Italian, list travels the regions kicking off in the mid £20's - but rise steeply thereafter
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Liverpool Street (Rail/Underground), or Old Street or Moorgate Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: L Sat, all Sun, Christmas, most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned