A large pub, serving both bar food and more elaborate meals, in their Topiary Brasserie.
Owned by ex-butcher, Kevin Berkins, they are justifiably well-known for their sausages (which have their own section on the menu) - often including one made with black pudding, organic pork and leeks.
The style of the food on offer, travels the world, with starters such as 'Asian Platter - beef samosa, potato & spinach pakora & tandoori chicken with mini puppodoms'; 'Warm Salad of Crispy Duck'; 'Wild Mushroom Risotto' and 'Queenie Scallops - with mushroom, bacon & parsley sauce and Parmesan crisp' setting the style.
Perhaps to be followed by 'Fish Pie'; 'Beef Bourguignon'; 'Crispy Middle White Belly Pork' or a Burger or Steak from the Grill.
Maybe finish with 'Bread & Butter Pudding'; 'Tiramisu' or an Artisan Cheese Slate.
We have heard of diners being over-hurried when finishing their meal - and we would be glad to hear of any complaints of this kind; but by and large, the Fence gets our vote.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, Brasserie 12.00-14.30; mains about £13 to £24; Bar mains about £11 to £14, plus Sandwiches
- Dinner: all week; Brasserie 18.30-21.30; mains about £13 to £24
- Seats: 100
- Wine: a concise, but adequate, list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Brierfield Rail
- Directions: See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: enquire about Christmas openings
- Outside eating