There's been a shop selling oysters on this site since the mid-1850's, and during the 1950's expanded into a small National chain.
Nowadays this tiny building holds a small bar counter with stools selling oysters, winkles by the bowl, smoked salmon sandwiches and the like.
A little dining room to the rear offers proper sit-down meals, offering mainly local seafood. Starters include the likes of 'Crab & Prawn Bearnaise Tartlet with Salad'; 'Pan-fried Crab Cake with a Mache & Walnut Salad or of course Oysters, including Natives in season.
Perhaps follow with the likes of 'Baked Skate Wing in a Grainy Mustard Crust'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass with a Risotto Cake and Squid in Tempura Batter'; 'Caramelised Scallops on Cauliflower and Parmesan Risotto' or 'Pot-roasted Halibut Gratin with a Citrus & Crab Hollandaise'.
If you still have room, finish with the likes of 'Lemon Posset' & 'Strawberry Crème Brulée'.
Remember to bring your own wine.
- Food Style: Seafood
- Lunch: Thurs to Tues 13.00-19.30; (Sun until 19.00); mains from about £19 to £22
- Dinner: Thurs to Tues 13.00-19.30; (Sun until 19.00); mains about £19 to £22 (but lighter menu available)
- Seats: 16
- Wine: BYO only (there's a handy off licence over the road)
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Whitstable Rail
- Directions: Town Centre. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: all Weds & most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned