A popular inn, originally built to house workers building the cathedral, serving excellent beer and good pub food.
The bar menu offers sandwiches, such as 'Smoked Salmon with Prawns in Dill Mayonnaise' or 'Black Pepper coated Pastrami and Sweet Gherkin'. While the restaurant more elaborate dishes, such as 'King Prawns in Garlic Butter'; 'Oriental Duck Salad' or 'Stuffed Mushrooms with Red Pepper Pesto, Chili & Tomato' among the starters.
Maybe 'Roasted Rump of Lamb on a Potato Rosti'; 'Ratatouille Pasta with Goats Cheese & Salad'; 'Honey-Glazed Duck Breast with Orange & Honey Jus & Paysanne Potoes' and 'Char-grilled Fillet Steak on Horseradish Mash, and a Green Peppercorn & Dijon Mustard Sauce' among the mains.
Those with a sweet tooth might have the likes of 'Warm Dark Chocolate & Amaretti Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream' and 'Lemon Posset with Shortbread' there to tempt them at the end.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Fri 12.00-14.00, Sat 12.00-14.30, Sun 12.00-14.30; mains about £10 to £19
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-22.00; Sat 18.00-23.00, Sun 19.00-22.00 (summer only); mains about £10 to £19
- Wine: a short, but adequate wine list (with a Spanish bias), plus a good selection of top-quality beer
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory; and bar only (as the restaurant is upstairs)
- Nearest station: Castle Cary Rail
- Directions: close to the cathedral, at the junction with Tor Street - see the map at on this page
- Closed: L Mon, D Sun (during darker months), check about Christmas openings