An excellent gastro-pub with its main dining area separated by a curtain from the bustle of the bar.
The rustic menu changes throughout the day, as things run out, but there is always something interesting - both for the brave and fainthearted.
Starters might include the likes of 'Duck Hearts on Toast'; 'Devilled Sprats' or 'Beetroot & Horseradish Salad'.
Mains maybe 'Rabbit with Chorizo & Snails'; 'Duck Confit with Semolina Gnocchi'; 'Pig's Cheeks, Spanish-style, with Borlotti Beans & Aioli and 'Grilled Sole with Anchovy Butter'. They have won awards for their excellent steaks, and if they have Old Spot Gammon on the menu (generally served with Champ) it shouldn't be missed.
Round off with a traditional British dessert, such as 'Apple & Quince Pie'; 'Mirabelle Tartwith Vanilla Ice Cream' or try one of their British cheeses.
No bookings are taken (except Sunday lunch) - so you might have to wait in the bar.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Tues-Sat; 12.00-14.30 (main courses about £7 to £18; set weekday L from £10 (1 course), £15 (2 courses), £17 (3 courses) Sun L mains about £7 to £20;
- Dinner: Mon-Sat; 18.00-22.30 (mains about £12 to £18)
- Seats: 45, plus about 20 outside
- Wine: a well-thought-out wine list, kicks off at around the £18 mark, plus about a dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: No
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Waterloo Rail or Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: L Mon, D Sun; Bank Holidays; 25th Dec; New Year, 2 weeks August
- Outside eating