A proper local, with a good restaurant attached. It was part of a small group, but is now under individual ownership. The style of food has been little changed, as it's a successful formula.
A winter menu brought the likes of 'Honey Roast Parsnip Soup with Homemade Breadi'; 'Baked Crotin Goats Cheese with Roasted Peppers, Red Onions & Lambs Lettuce'; 'Chicken Liver & Foie Gras Paté with Apple Compote & Toasted Brioche' and 'Terrine of Corn-Fed Chicken, Tarragon and Baby Leek with Tomato Chutney' among the starters.
Plus main courses of the like of 'Wild Mushroom & Tarragon Risotto with a Parmesan & Rocket Salad'; 'Skewered Monkfish and Diver-Caught Scallops with Braised Borlotti Beans, Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Salsa Rossa' and 'Roast Denham Estate Venison with Pot-Roast Parsnips, Carrots and Apple with Balsamic and Thyme Sauce.
A bar menu offers less ambitious dishes, such as Bangers and Mash and Lancashire Hotpot, but only sandwiches during Saturday night & Sunday lunch services.
Desserts stretch from Sticky Toffee Pudding with Toffee Sauce' through 'Bakewell Tart with Clotted Cream' to 'Char-Grilled Peaches with Honey and Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream'. Montgomery Cheddar with Celery, Grapes and Biscuits might be equally-tempting.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.15 (Sun 15.00); set L from £13.50 (2 courses), £16.50 (3 courses); mains about £10 to £19. A comprehensive Bar Menu is also offered, but only sandwiches when Sunday lunch is being served.
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.15-21.15; Sun 18.15-20.30; mains about £14 to £19. A comprehensive Bar Menu is also offered, but only sandwiches when Saturday dinner is being served. A BBQ is held between 17.00-20.00 during summer months.
- Seats: 70, plus 50 outside
- Wine: an excellent, good-value, list has modest mark-ups - and a good selection of house wines
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Stamford or Peterborough Rail (9 miles)
- Directions: off the A605, signposted Fotheringhay. See the map at the top of this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check up about Christmas openings
- Outside eating