An elegant hotel, which is also the village pub, only 10 minutes walk away from the beach. Although looking comfortably 'used', the look has been carefully contrived - but all works well in a relaxing, almost romantic manner.
It's been in the ownership of the Holkham Estate since it was built in the mid-19th century (but only re-claimed from the lease holders in the last few years). Venison and game from the estate figure prominently.
Expect to see the likes of 'Spiced Cauliflower Soup with Croutons & Pecorino'; 'Mussel, Saffron & Chive Risotto'; 'Thornham Oysters' and 'Seared Foie Gras with Black Pudding, Crispy Bacon & Verjus' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Venison Wellington with Fondant Potato & Baby Carrots'; 'Wild Mushroom Ravioli, Puy Lentils and a Rocket & Parmesan Salad' 'Roasted Organic Salmon with Red Pepper and Date Couscous' and local fish (carefully-handled), among the mains.
Desserts are equally tempting with the likes of 'Tarte Tatin with Apple Sorbet' or 'Rhubarb Rice Pudding with Nutmeg Ice Cream' being hard to resist.
Lighter bar meals (such as a 6oz Venison Burger and Caesar Salad) are also on offer, mains being around
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week; 12.00-14.30; mains about £14 to £19
- Dinner: all week; 19.00-21.30; mains about £14 to £22
- Seats: 70 (plus 100 outside)
- Wine: a well-thought-out wine list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, also ladies lavatory
- Nearest station: Sheringham Rail (16 miles)
- Directions: 3 miles (5km) west of Wells-next-the-Sea, on the A149. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: ask about Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating
- Rooms available