A red brick Victorian hotel in the town's market square, and close to Orford Castle and the river. Actually, the core of the building dates back much further, but is well-disguised.
The dining room, with its high ceiling and stripped wooden floor is simply laid, with bare wooden tables and a relaxing bistro-like atmosphere.
Weekday lunchtimes brings excellent pub-style lunches, combining traditional British dishes with those of Italy – so expect dishes such as Potted Shrimps, Smoked Prawns, Plaice & Chips, Eggs Benedict, Steaks and Proper Pies; plus Mixed Crostini, Fritto Misto Mare. Sunday more elaborate dishes are added.
During the evening, the menu is more ambitious - perhaps start your meal with the likes of 'Carlingord Oysters'; 'Duck Liver Parfait with Courgette Pickles'; 'Orford Smoked Eel with New Potato & Beetroot Salad' or 'Beef Carpaccio' with Harry Bar's Dressing'.
Maybe follow with 'Slow-roast Gloucester Old Spot Pork Belly with Broad Bean, Bacon & Chervil Ragout'; 'Osso Bucco with Risotto alla Milanese'; 'Suffolk Lamb with Rosemary Mash' or well-handled local fish – such as Orford-landed Sea Bass.
Leave room for the likes of 'Vanilla Pannacotta with Blueberry Compote'; 'Warm Pecan & Bourbon Tart'; 'Hot Bitter Chocolate Mousse' and 'Greek Yoghurt & Pistachio Cake'.
They make a point of not offering over attentive wine 'service' – where your bottle might be taken out of reach, and you are topped-up at every opportunity – to which we heartily approve!
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week; 12.15-14.15; mains about £13 to £16; set L Sun from about £29 (2 courses) – plus children’s helpings
- Dinner: all week; 18.30-21.00; mains about £20 to £25
- Seats: 50 (plus 40 outside)
- Wine: an interesting wine list kicks off at around the £20 mark, and offers an excellent selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible, but no children under 9 at D
- Wheelchair access: Yes (also lavatory)
- Nearest station: Woodbridge Rail
- Directions: 9 miles (14km) east of Woodbridge, off the A12, on the B1084. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: Jan 4th to 6th
- Outside eating
- Rooms available