One of London's best fish and chip shops/restaurant; and although the original two brothers retired during 2008, they have been replaced by two others - with no noticeable drop in standards.
Their selection of fish on offer is extensive stretching from traditional items such as cod to the likes of halibut and sea bass - with daily specials on a blackboard. Mains automatically come with a roll and butter and home-made tartare sauce. Starters again stretch from cod's roe in batter to jellied eel and rock oysters.
There are a few traditional puddings such as banana fritters and knickerbockers glory.
No bookings are taken during the evening, so queues build up quite early at this time. But if you like fish and chips, the wait is worth it.
- Food Style: Fish and Chip Shops - The Best
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.30; mains about £9.00 to £24; Lunch Deal £9.95 (2 courses & drink)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat 17.30-22.15; mains about £9 to £24
- Seats: 90
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Children's portions: Yes
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Tube; Finchley Central
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: all Sun & Mon
- Air conditioned