The pub that started the whole 'gastro pub' ball rolling; and is still up there with the best of them - and prices are still very modest. The airy interior has wooden floor boards and a mish-mash of solid wooden furniture.
The food offered stretches from the Mediterranean with dishes such as 'Paella and Grilled Mackerel wit Tabbouleh and Chili Jam' and ' Grilled Squid with Tomato, Parsly, Fennel, Garlic and Basmati Rice' to more Modern British, such as 'Roast Lamb with Green Lentils and Mixed Salad' and 'Slow-Braised Old Spot Belly with Cinnamon, Ginger and Chili'.
There are a few desserts, but this isn't really the place for a 3 course meal, as conditions can be a little cramped. An added interest is watching the chefs working the grill behind the open bar.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, L 12.30-15.00 (15.30 Sat & Sun); mains about £8 to £18
- Dinner: Mon-Sat D 18.30-22.30; mains about £8 to £18
- Seats: 60, plus about 24 outside
- Wine: a short list has good choice under the £20 mark, and they stock an interesting selection of beers
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Farringdon Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking, with difficulty
- Closed: Sun D, Bank Holidays (except Good Friday), 1 week Christmas
- Outside eating