What was an 18th century coaching inn in a valley close to the uplands of Dartmoor, is now an excellent 'destination' hotel and restaurant. The old flagstone floors in the bar and low ceilings, still remain; but the whole has an air of comfort and luxury. Much is made of its proximity to the higher reaches of the River Tamar, about 20 miles of fishing rights are under their ownership and fly-fishing holidays and courses are offered.On the food front, their top two chefs are both members of 'Masterchefs of Great Britain' - so standards are high; and the kitchen has developed long standing relationships with a number of West Country producers.
So, depending on the season, expect the likes of 'Spiced Fillet of Red Mullet with Asparagus'; 'Chilled Leek and Potato Soup with Chive Cream' and 'Terrine of Duck with Green Peppercorns' among the starters.
Perhaps, 'Mignon of Devon Beef with a Parsley Tartlet, Baby Vegetables and a rich Red Wine Sauce'; 'Grilled Fillet of Gressingham Duck with Lentils, Leeks and Saffron' and 'Roasted Cornish Sea Bass with Hazelnut and a Piquant Sauce.
Finish with a 'Gratin of Strawberries and Raspberries with a Champagne Sabayon'; 'Hot Chocolate Pudding with a Chocolate Sauce and Whipped Rum Cream' or their selection of English farmhouse Cheeses with Bath Olivers, Oatcakes and Celery.
They also offer sandwiches, a delicious snacks in the bar area.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.30-14.00; set L £19.50 (2 courses), £23 (3 courses); set L Sun from £19.50 (2 courses); mains about £22 to £26
- Dinner: all week 19.30-21.30; set D £37 (2 courses, £42.50 (3 courses) (3 courses); mains about £20 to £26
- Seats: 100, plus about 30 outside
- Wine: an excellent list is centred around France, offers a good selection of half bottles and kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Gunnislake or Calstock Rail (both about 10 miles)
- Directions: See the map on this page - just off the A30, 3 miles east of Launceston
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available