Excellent, hearty, East and North European food is to be found in the walls of this modern eaterie. The high-ceilinged dining room is decorated with recent art works and clever lighting adds to the atmosphere.
Perhaps start with 'Siberian Dumplings filled with Beef and Pork'; 'Beetroot Soup with Soured Cream'; 'Seared Ox Tongue with Celeriac Rémoulade'; 'Marinated Herrings' or 'Caviar with Blinis' perhaps accompanied by one of their many Vodka varieties.
Main course offerings include the likes of 'Salt Beef with Horseradish Dumplings and Pickled Vegetables'; 'Rabbit Leg with Apple, Prunes, Bacon & Spaetzle Dumplings'; 'Fennel-poached Hake with Spring Vegetables and Herbs' and ' Rump of Lamb with Aubergine and a Georgian Walnut Sauce'.
Some of their dessert dishes are hard to find elsewhere in London - perhaps try 'Nalesniki' (crêpes filled with sweet cheese, nuts and raisins); 'Ptasie Mleczko - soft vanilla marshmallow with vodka-marinated cherries & chocolate crisp' or 'White Chocolate Cheesecake'.
Their pre-theatre menu is thoroughly recommended.
- Food Style: East European
- Lunch: Tues-Sun 12.00-15.00 (Sun 16.30); set L Tues-Fri 12.00-15.00 £12.50 (2 courses) to £21.50; mains about £13 to £22; set L Sun £21 (2 courses), £23 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 18.00-23.15; Theatre Menu Mon-Sat 17.30-19.00 £18.50 (2 courses), £22.50 (3 courses); mains about £13 to £22
- Seats: 100, plus 20 outside
- Wine: A well-thought-out list kicks off in the low £20's
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, also lavatory
- Nearest station: Southwark
- Directions: Opposite Southwark Station. Five minutes walk from Waterloo. See the map at the top of this page.
- Closed: L Mon, most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned