Find this excellent restaurant next door to Clarke's equally-good deli/bread shop. Sally Clarke developed her cooking still during her time in California, and has added modern British trends to these early influences. The modern dining rooms are on two floors (mostly in the basement - with the open-plan kitchen) and although tables are closely-spaced, there is a general air of comfort - with crisp white napery and plenty of fresh flowers in evidence.
The food on offer,strictly follows the seasons. Perhaps begin with a 'Pear, Parmesan, Bitter Leaf and Olive Salad'; 'San Daniele Ham with Peas, Grilled Spring Onions and Pea Shoots' or perfect 'Mushroom Soup'.
Maybe follow with 'Marinated and Roasted Welsh Lamb'; 'Fillet of Cornish Sea Bass with a Sauce of Prosecco, Chives and Dill' or 'Loin of Norfolk Roe Deer with a Sage, Orange and Red Wine Sauce'.
Finish with a 'Lemon Pot with Candied Peel and Biscotti'; 'Bitter Chocolate and Prune Soufflé Cake' or in summer months maybe 'Kent Strawberry Ice Cream with Rosemary Shortbread'.
They also offer excellent breakfasts between 8.00-11.00.
Service is efficient and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.30-14.00; mains about £20 to £28
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 18.30-22.00; set D £42.50; mains about £20 to £28
- Seats: 90
- Wine: an excellent list covers the world and kicks off in the mid £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Notting Hill Gate Underground
- Directions: near the top of Kensington Church Street - see the map at the top of this page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: all Sun, 10 Days at Christmas, Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned