Find this good restaurant, with its Gothic-style dining room, above an unpretentious pub. The kitchen produces definite flavours and the direct menus sum this up well.
Expect the likes of ‘Watercress Soup’; 'Roast Chicory with Parma Ham, Thyme & Breadcrumbs'; ‘Sardines with Sauce Vierge’; ‘Smoked Haddock Cakes with Aïoli’ and perhaps ‘Confit of Guinea Fowl’ among the starters.
Maybe ‘Hare with Pappardelle’; 'Grilled Blackface Lamb Steak with Pearl Barley Salad, Baby Spinach & Pomegranate'; ‘Mussels cooked in Cider’; ‘Poussin with Swede and Carrot Mash’ and ‘Skate with Anchovies’ among the mains.
There is always at least one vegetarian option.
Desserts are simple, but well executed – ‘Crème Caramel’; 'Chocolate Biscuit Cake with Strawberries & Cream' and 'Prune and Ginger Pudding’ being good examples.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri, 12.30-15.00; set L £18.50 (2 courses) to £22.50; mains about £10 to £20. A good bar menu is also available.
- Dinner: Mon-Fri, 18.30-22.30; set D £18.50 (2 courses) to £22.50; mains about £10 to £20
- Seats: 40, plus 30 outside
- Wine: a short, but adequate, wine list has modest mark-ups for the area
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Old Street or Liverpool Street Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Sat & Sun, some Bank Holidays
- Outside eating