« back to restaurants search results
Real Greek Hoxton14-15 Hoxton Market, London, London, N1 6HG
In this building, facing the market square, and once The Hoxton Mission Hall - catering for the poor children of the area; you'll find what was until 2006 a top-class Greek restaurant.
However, it has diluted itself into a chain, and both aims and standards have slipped accordingly.
The food now on offer lends itself more to the mass market, but is affordable and still worthy of an entry here.
Dishes are of the Greek taverna variety - so maybe begin with 'Taramasalata' (but without the pink colouring); 'Htipiti' (a course dip of feta, char-grilled Peppers and Roasted Onions); 'Dolmades' (wrapped vine leaves) or 'Grilled Octopus with Olive Oil, Oregano and Garlic'.
Follow with one of their char-grilled Skewers/Kebabs or a main course Salad - or you can leave it to them and perhaps settle for an all-encompassing set meals (for a min. of 2 people).
Finish with 'Greek Coffee Ice Cream Parfait'; 'Baklava with Honey and Cardamon Ice Cream' or 'Manouri' (a Greek ewe's milk cheesecake).
- Food Style: Greek
- Lunch: Tues-Sat, 12.00-22.30; mains from about £6 to £8; set Meze from about £26 (2 people minimum)
- Dinner: Tues-Sat, 12.00-22.30; mains from about £6 to £8; set Meze from about £26 (2 people minimum)
- Seats: 160
- Wine: an all Greek wine list, kicks off at around the £16 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes, also lavatory
- Nearest station: Old Street Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page
- Closed: all Sun & Mon; some Bank Holidays