An excellent Japanese restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Charlotte Street, and a relaxing basement bar - where the full menu is also served. There's a central cooking area, which adds interest to and dominates the modern dining room.
The menu draws on influences from outside Japan, with dishes such as 'Tuna Tartare with Sevruga Caviar and Quail's Egg Yolk'; 'Aubergine in Mirin with Ginger and Soy'; 'Rolled Sushi of Soft-Shelled Crab, Cucumber. Kim-Chi and Chili Mayonnaise' and 'Seabream Fillet, Ryotel Miso and Red Onion' on offer.
Prices can mount up as one temptation follows another, so set menu's might be the safer bet.
Desserts might include 'Black Grape and Donpacch Jelly with Lychee Granita' or 'Green Tea Ice Cream with Caramelised Banana'.
The staff are friendly and knowledgeable.
- Food Style: Japanese
- Lunch: all week 12.00-15.30 (Sat & Sun 16.00); mains £8 to £15; Tasting Menu £90 (min. 2 people)
- Dinner: all week, 17.30-23.15 (Sun 22.00); mains £8 to £15; Tasting Menu £90 (min. 2 people)
- Seats: 88, plus 20 outside
- Wine: a short, but elaborate, wine list kicks off at around the £30 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes, also lavatory
- Nearest station: Goodge Street Underground (5 mins.)
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating