Find this excellent restaurant, a second string to Pied a Terre (q.v.) just off the ever-more-trendy Marylebone High Street, in the premises once popularised by Stephen Bull and more recently by the Blandford Street Restaurant. The relaxing atmosphere and well-spaced tables make this an ideal restaurant for special occasions or business meetings.
But the quality of the food produced by the kitchen, now under the direction of Asimakis Chaniotis, should be the reason for any visit here.
Dishes are light and carefully-cooked, and change a little not just with the seasons, but by the day – but the likes of ‘White Asparagus with Wild Garlic Pesto & Baby Cornish’; ‘Smoked Smoked Breast of Quail with Coeur de Boeuf Tomatoes & Grelot Onions’; ‘Pembrokeshire Crab with Green Meat Radish, Turnip & Bronze Fennel’ and ‘Home-Pickled Sardines with Cucumber, Red Onion & Leek Ash’ were listed amongst early summer starters.
With perhaps ‘Wild Nettle Gnocchi with Shallots & Baby Leeks’; ‘Pan-Fried Cornish Gurnard with Rainbow Chard, Green Apple & Celery Vinaigrette’; ‘and ‘Assiette of Suckling Pig with Leeks, Heritage Carrots & Star Anise’ to follow.
If you still have room, beautifully-presented desserts such as ‘Apricot & Sea Buckthorn Cake with Poached Apricot & Multimineral Sorbet’; ‘Wild Strawberry Parfait with Coconut, White Chocolate & Champagne Consommé’ and ‘Melon & Lavender Bavarois with Honeymoon Melon Sorbet’ might be there to tempt you.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.45 (Sat 14.30, Sun 15.50); set L £14.50 (Plat du Jours), from £24 (2 courses), from £29 (3 courses); mains about £25 to £32; set L Sun £39 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.45; Pre & Post Theatre from £24 (2 courses); set D Mon-Fri £40 (2 courses), £49.50 (3 courses); Tasting Menu £79 (8 courses); mains about £25 to £32
- Seats: 50, plus about 6 outside
- Wine: an interesting and comprehensive list kicks off in the high £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Bond Street or Baker Street Underground (10 minutes)
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: D Sun, some Bank Holidays, a few days at Christmas
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating