Find this excellent restaurant, a second string to Pied a Terre (q.v.) just off the ever-more-trendy Marylebone High Street, in the premises once popularised by Stephen Bull and more recently by the Blandford Street Restaurant. The relaxing atmosphere and well-spaced tables make this an ideal restaurant for special occasions or business meetings.
But the quality of the food produced by the kitchen, now under the direction of Andrew McFadden, should be the reason for any visit here.
Dishes are light and carefully-cooked, and change a little not just with the seasons, but by the day - but the likes of 'Crapaudine Beetroot with Smoked & Glazed Eel, Fennel, Ginger & Grated Belper Knolle'; 'Smoked Goats Cheese Curd with Reblochon Milk, Hazelnut Cream, Apple Tapioca & Miso'; 'Herefordshire Snails Wrapped in Parsley Mousse, Black Garlic, Morteau Sausage, Smoked Anchovy & Pine Nuts' and 'Ceviche of Hand-Dived Scallops with Black Quinoa, Crème Fraiche, Jerusalem Artichokes & Dill' were listed amongst early Spring starters.
With perhaps 'Roasted Pigeon with Pastilla of its Legs, Pickled Kohlrabi, Blood Orange & Toasted Hay'; 'Roast Turbot with Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Smoked Anchovies, Pine Nuts & Soybean'; 'Suckling Pig with Grilled Nashi Pears, Tokyo Turnips & Quince' and 'Soft-Poached Hen's Egg with Mushroom Beignet, Cep Marmalade & Hay Velouté' to follow.
If you still have room, beautifully-presented desserts such as 'Carrot Cake with Clementine Leaf Pannacotta, Mandarin Sorbet & Carrot Caramel'; 'Stem Ginger Miusse with Rhubarb Jelly. Passion Fruit Sorbet & Crushed Apples' and 'Pavé of Valhrona Caramelia Chocolate with Honeycomb, Pistachio & Tomka Bean Ice Cream' might be there to tempt you.
Service is both professional and friendly.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.45 (Sat 14.30, Sun 15.50); set L £22.50 (2 courses), £27.50 (3 courses); mains about £18 to £32; set L Sun £39.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.45; Pre-Theatre from £22.50 Tasting Menu £75 (9 courses); mains about £18 to £32
- Seats: 50, plus about 8 outside
- Wine: an interesting and comprehensive list kicks off in the high £20's
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Bond Street or Baker Street Underground (10 minutes)
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: D Sun, some Bank Holidays, a few days at Christmas
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating