An excellent neighbourhood restaurant, describing itself as 'An English Dining Room'. This refers to the way they seek out local food from the countryside around Manchester - and their efforts are certainly impressive. As they say 'when the last asparagus or yellow courgette is picked in Cheshire, they're off the menu'. They are also strong proponents of organic food.
The dining room is comfortable, but could almost have been lifted from the a restaurant of the 1930's, with leather-backed Chesterfields, an original fireplace and an overwhelmingly brown colour scheme.
As you would expect, the menu follows the seasons, but a recent visit included the following options -
'Blue Cheese Brûlée with Red Onion Chutney and Walnut Bread'; 'Seared Monkfish and Black Pudding in a course Mustard Sauce and Shallot Sauce' and 'Home-cured Corned Beef Hash with Pumpkin Seed Pastry and Mulled-Spice Beetroot Pickle' among the starters.
With perhaps an 'Open Tart of Parlick Fell Ewes' Cheese, Roast Pumpkin and Sticky Onions with Rosemary-Roasted Potatoes and Winter Green'; 'Fish Pie in Parsley Sauce with Mash and Honey-Roasted Veg.' and 'Steak, Ale and Mushroom Pudding with Fat Chips, Kale and a Rich Gravy' to follow.
If you still have room, finish with 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce'; 'Dark Chocolate Tart with Mulled Wine Plums- Clotted Cream and Berry Sauce' or their excellent local cheeses, offered with celery and home-made chutney.
Weekend lunches are lighter affairs - and offer bargain prices.
Service is both friendly and helpful.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Sat & Sun 12.00-22.00; mains about £6 to £9
- Dinner: Mon-Fri 18.00-22.00, Sat & Sun 12.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £25
- Seats: 45, plus 30 upstairs in private dining room
- Wine: a concise, but well-thought-out list kicks off at around the £13 mark. They also offer good beers and top-quality cider
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible; but they also have their own menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Urmston Rail
- Directions: See the map on this age
- Closed: all Mon; some Bank Holidays