Chisou - meaning 'spirit of the feast' offers authentic Japanese traditional and contemporary dishes; and British visitors should be encouraged by the numbers of Japanese customers - all looking very contented.
The Sushi and Sashimi are excellent, and the fish used gleamingly fresh. Both are priced per piece.
Other offerings include 'Gyu Tataki' (seared beef fillet with garlic and ponza sauce); mixed tempura and Steamed Tofu wrapped in Bean Curd with Kin Prawns and Shitake Mushrooms'.
The evening brings yet more choice, as a list of chef's specials appears - this changes regularly but might include the likes of 'Deep-fried Soft-Shelled Crab'; 'Salted King Crab Legs' and 'Spicy Grilled Salmon Belly'.
The sweet-toothed can perhaps finish with 'Green Tea Mousse' or 'Japanese Chestnut Ice Cream'.
They have a restaurant branches in Knightsbridge - plus a 'bar' eaterie in Chiswick.
- Food Style: Japanese
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30 (Sat 12.30-15.00); set L from £14.50 (2 courses) to £19.50; mains about £10 to £32
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.15; mains about £10 to £32
- Seats: 70, plus about 6 outside
- Wine: a short list kicks off at around the £20 mark
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Oxford Circus Underground
- Directions: just off the top-end of Regent Street. See the map on this page.
- Closed: all Sun, Bank Holidays; 25th Dec to 1st Jan
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating