This former Westminster Library makes an unusual setting for a contemporary Indian restaurant. But the polished parquet floors, elegant mahogany panels, domed skylights and a retained gallery of books makes a charming setting.
The establishment must be one of Britain's only Indian restaurants offering an amuse bouche to whet your appetite. This might be a Potato Fritter with Pumpkin Chutney or suchlike. While the menu on offer is produced by chefs from different parts of India - under the guidance of Vivek Singh.
Perhaps begin with 'Tandoori Anjou Pigeon Breast'; 'Stir-fried Crab with Roasted Coconut and Spices' or 'Zucchini Flower and Marinated Chaat'.
This to be followed by the likes of 'Smoked Rack of Lamb with Rajasthani Corn Sauce'; 'Tandoori Breast of Pheasant with Mint and Chilis, and a jungle-style Curry of Legs' or 'Charolais Fillet Steak, slow-cooked with Onion Sauce and Saffron Potatoes'.
A good selection of desserts might include 'Strawberries with Tamarind, Lime and Coriander and Shrikhand Cheesecake' or 'Warm Chocolate Mousse, Chilled Chocolate Fondant and Chocolate Ice Cream' or those with a savoury tooth might be tempted by their selection of English Cheeses which come with Quince Jelly.
The restaurant also opens for weekday breakfasts (making ideal business meetings) - with dishes ranging from 'Spicy Scrambled Eggs on Layered Bread' through 'Kedgeree with Smoked Haddock and Poached Egg' to 'Full English'.
- Food Style: Modern Indian
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.45; set L £24 (1 course); £27.50 (2 courses), £31.50 (3 courses); mains £20 to £40; Tasting Menu £95; (Breakfast is also offered between 7.30-9.45 – Full English £19.50))
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.45; set D £26 (2 courses) to £30 – before 19.00 only; Indulgence set D £38 (3 courses); mains about £20 to £40; Tasting Menu £95
- Seats: 200
- Wine: an excellent list kicks off at around the £30 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Westminster Underground
- Directions: between Victoria Street and Horseferry Street. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street parking and NCP
- Closed: all Sun, 25th & 26th Dec, 1 Jan, most Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned