What looks like a typical corner pub, houses an excellent modern day gastro-version – painstakingly revamped by top chef Henry Harris . The frequently-changing menu relies on the markets and ingredients are carefully sourced.
A typical day might bring ‘Leek & Potato Soup’; ‘Calves Brains with Black Butter & Capers’; 'Pork Rillettes with Pickles & Toast' and 'Fennel, Castelfranco Lettuce & Blood Orange Salad' among the starters.
'Braised Ox Cheek with Persillade & Horseradish Mash'; 'Grilled Rabbit with Mustard Sauce & Smoked Bacon ' and 'Fillet of Cod with Calcots, Romanesco & Romanesco Sauce' among the mains.
End with 'Blood Orange Posset with Shortbread'; 'Petit Pot au Chocolat' or 'Apple Sorbet & a Shot of Calvados'.
Lighter dishes – such as ‘Sausage Rolls’ are offered at the bar.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-15.00, Sun 12.00-22.00; mains about £14 to £19; set L Sun £16.50 (2 courses) to £19.95 (3 courses) – plus bar snacks
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00; mains about £14 to £19
- Seats: 70, plus about 36 outside
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Farringdon Underground
- Directions: just off Farringdon Road, north of its junction with Clerkenwell Road. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: Sun D, 24th Dec to 2nd Jan; Bank Holidays
- Outside eating