What looks like a typical corner pub, houses an excellent modern day gastro-version. The daily changing menu relies on the markets and ingredients are carefully sourced - much of their meat being rare-breed and coming from Long Ghyll Farms, in Lancashire.
A typical day might bring 'Broccoli Soup'; 'Crubeens' (pig's trotter formed into little patties, breadcrumbed and fried); 'Venison and Partridge Terrine' and 'Brandade with a Parsley Salad and Ciabatta' among the starters.
'Calf's Liver with Bacon, Carrot Mash and Curly Kale'; 'Goosnagh Chicken Sauté with Mushrooms, Tarragon, Arocina Beans and Broccoli' and 'Scallops with Split Peas and Beurre Blanc' among the mains.
End with 'Cranberry Cheesecake'; 'Chocolate Rice Pudding' or 'Wine Poached Pear with Pistachio Truffle and Mascarpone'.
Lighter dishes - such as 'Scotch Eggs'; 'Houmus and Flatbread'; 'Mushroom Tartlet' and 'Bleasedale Lamb Breast with Tartare Sauce - are offered at the bar.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-15.00 ; mains about £11 to £23; set L from £10
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.00-22.00; mains about £11 to £23
- Seats: 70, plus about 36 outside
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Farringdon Underground
- Directions: just off Farringdon Road, north of its junction with Clerkenwell Road. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: all Sun, Sat L; 24th Dec to 2nd Jan; Bank Holidays
- Outside eating