Find this comfortable restaurant in the secluded Lakeside Hotel near the southern tip of the lake. The views from the restaurant are splendid, with the gardens reaching down to the shores of the lake. While the oak-panelled dining room has crisp white napery and is festooned with fresh flowers.
Meals progress sedately through several courses and are prepared from well-sourced ingredients - many local.
So perhaps begin with 'West Coast Crab with Cornichon Mayonnaise, sautéed Shrimps, Nutmeg Foam and Crisp Filo'; 'Trio of Quail - poached Breast in Madeira Jelly, Confit Leg on Apple Salad and soft-boiled Egg with Peppered Apple Purée' or 'Roast Butternut Squash Soup - flavoured with Cumin, Coconut and Coriander Pesto'.
Follow with the likes of 'Grilled West Coast Halibut, with Gem Hearts, Confit Potatoes and a Mustard and Caper Noisette Butter'; 'Loin of Herdwick Lamb with slow-cooked Flageolet Beans, Wilted Chard, Olives and Red Pepper Essence'; or 'Pan-fried Loin of local Venison on wilted Spinach with Chili Oil and Chocolate Sauce'.
'Liquorice Soufflé with Seville Orange Marmalade Ice Cream' and 'Iced Honeyed Nougat Parfait with fresh Raspberries and Vanilla Apple Purée' set the style for desserts - although there's always a selection of mixed fresh fruit and good British cheeses.
No jeans, but a more modest brasserie (called The John Ruskin) is another option - some of the dishes offered overlapping from the main restaurant.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all day menu offered in The John Ruskin Brasserie
- Dinner: all week 18.30-21.00; set D £52
- Seats: 70, plus 30 in a private dining room
- Wine: a comprehensive list has firm mark-up, but offers about a dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible - plus good reductions
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Grange-over-Sands Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or leave the M6 at junction 36 on follow the A590 to Newby Bridge, go straight over the roundabout, right over the bridge and drive for 2km to hotel
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: enquire about Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available