What was once a run down pub, is now a sophisticated gastro-pub with a comfortable upstairs dining room - which opens during the evening and for Sunday lunch.
Both upstairs and down, tables are well spaced; the menu offering the likes of 'Smoked Finnan Haddock Chowder'; 'Leek and Goat's Cheese Tart with Celeriac Rémoulade'; 'Duck Liver Parfait with Piccalilli and Sourdough Toast' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Rib Eye Steak with Chips and Béarnaise'; 'Pumpkin Risotto Cake with Sweet Corn Purée and Broccoli Tempura' and 'Roast Pollock with Truffled Kale and Bubble & Squeak' among the mains.
Finish with 'Sticky Toffee Pudding with Custard'; 'Raspberry and White Chocolate Crème Brulée' or a plate of La Fromagerie cheeses with biscuits and Quince Jelly.
Helpings are generous and the service is friendly and helpful.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week 12.00-14.30 (15.30 Sat, 16.00 Sun); mains about £13 to £18
- Dinner: Mon-Sat; 19.00-22.30; mains about £13 to £18 (a bar menu is available)
- Seats: 110, plus 40 outside
- Wine: a concise list has modest mark-ups and around half a dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Nearest station: Highbury & Islington
- Directions: just off Upper Street, opposite the Town Hall - see the map on this page
- Parking: Street Parking
- Closed: Mon-Sat L; Sun D; some Bank Holidays; 24th-27th Dec; 1st & 2nd Jan
- Outside eating