Situated right in the heart of the City, in a former banking hall, this is two restaurants in one. A French-style brasserie and a more formal dining room for those with deep pockets - both are under the experienced control of top-chef Herbert Berger.
The former offers the likes of 'Seared Pink Salmon with Thai Aubergine Caviar'; 'Salad of slow-cooked Pork Galette with seared Foie Gras' and 'Soft-Boiled Egg with Spinach, smoked Haddock and Mustard Sauce' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Salmon Fish Cake with Caper, Tomato, Red Onion, Parsley and Lemon Salsa'; 'Roast Lamb Chump with White Bean and Chorizo Cassoulet and Parsley Mash' and 'Coq au Vin Bourguignon' among the mains.
Desserts are again of top-brasserie quality with maybe 'Hot Chocolate Fondant, Pistachio Ice Cream' and 'Pear and Blackberry Crumble' among the offerings.
For the savoury-toothed there are excellent cheeses or a 'Warm Goat's Cheese Dartois' to finish the meal.
The ingredients used in the main restaurant inflate the prices considerably - ' Salad of Cornish Crab with Caramelised Lobster Tail, Brown Crab Meat Velouté, Roast Pepper and Tomato Coulis, Basil Purée and Bloody Mary Sorbet' and 'Seared Foie Gras with Sweet and Sour Endive Tart Tatin and Bitter Chocolate and Balsamic Vinaigrette' are just starters!
Perhaps to be followed by 'Seared Sea Bass with Fennel Seeds, Provençal Vegetables, Basil Mash and Saffron Jus' or 'Angus Beef Tournedos with Wild Mushrooms and Herbs, Horseradish, Spinach and Parsley Purée, Shallot Confit and Oxtail Sauce'.
The desserts descriptions are just as lengthy - 'Feuillantine of Caramelised Granny Smith and Guinness Ice Cream with Glazed Hazelnuts' - sets the style.
As you would expect, service in the restaurant is both professional and formal.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Lunch: Mon-Fri, 11.30-22.00; mains £27.00 to £32.00; set L £28 (2 courses), £34 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Fri, 11.30-22.00; mains £27.00 to £32.00; set D £25; Tasting Menu £45 (9 courses)
- Seats: 170
- Wine: a serious wine list kicks off at around £20 and rises to around £1500
- Children's portions: No, and no children under 15
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Bank Underground & DLR
- Directions: opposite Bank of England. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking, with difficulty
- Closed: all Sat & Sun; Bank Holidays; 24th & 25th Dec
- Air conditioned