Find this smart restaurant, now free of the Gordon Ramsay empire, and owned by top-chef Angela Hartnell - in the heart of Mayfair.
Angela is in charge of the stoves and because of her Italian ancestry, Italy (pasta in particular) gets more than a nod. Their set lunch, offering 3 choices at each stage, must be one of London's best bargains - considering the quality on offer, particularly if you're a teetotaller.
An early summer snapshot brought 'Handmade Tagliolini with Soft Shell Crab, Ginger, Spring Onion, Tomato & Parsley'; 'Caramelised Veal Sweetbreads with Fennel Purée, Pickled White Peach & Grated Liquorice' and 'Carnaroli Risotto of Globe Artichokes, Deep-Fried Chokes & Parmigiano Reggiano' among the starters.
'Line-Caught Sea Bass, Pepper Stew, Braised Chicory, Warm Clam & Chorizo Vinaigrette'; 'Pan-Roasted Loin of Rabbit, Braised Shoulder Cannelloni, Cauliflower Purée, Olive & Tomato Jus'; 'Salad of Scottish Lobster with Dill & Lime Mayonnaise, Baby Leeks, Warm Jersey Royals & White Grapes' and 'Gressingham Duck Breast, Celeriac Purée, Stuffed Baby Gem & Pommes Boulangère' listed among the mains.
Desserts such as 'Frozen Milk Pannacotta, Mango & Pineapple Salsa, and Spiced Pineapple Foam'; 'Millefeuille of Braeburn Apple, Vanilla Ice Cream & Apple Parfait' and 'Pistachio Soufflé, Warm Chocolate Sauce & Macaroon' are hard to resist - as is their selection of top-quality cheese from La Fromagerie (q.v.).
No shorts or sportswear, but smart trainers & denim are acceptable.
- Food Style: Italian
- Lunch: Mon-Sat 12.00-14.30; set L £25 (2 courses), £30 (3 courses); mains about £15 to £35
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 18.30-22.30; set Dfrom £50 (2 courses), £65 (3 courses), £75 (4 courses), Tasting Menu £85 (8 courses); mains about £15 to £35
- Seats: 56
- Wine: an impressive list has firm mark-ups - house wines starting around the £30 mark
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Green Park Underground
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: all Sun, some Bank Holidays