A fun restaurant and bar, with leather booths and armchairs, offering a wide selection of dishes in the style of South Eastern Asia. There are no set courses, as such, and many of the dishes are suitable for sharing - in the Chinese style.
These stretch from Dim Sum items, such as 'Chili Salt Squid' and 'Spare Ribs' and Salads - such as 'Seaweed and Silken Tofu' and 'Duck, Watermelon and Cashew' through Sashimi and Tempura and dishes to more substantial Curries - maybe 'Roast Monkfish, Choi Sum' - and Roasts - perhaps 'Clay Pot Chicken'.
A few desserts might include 'Sake, Apricot and Frangipone Tart' and 'Chocolate Pudding with Green Tea Ice Cream'.
For the uninitiated , the menu has a helpful menu-term glossary on the back.
The Great Eastern Dining Room, XO and Eight Over Eight (all q.v's) are under the same ownership.
- Food Style: Pan Asian
- Lunch: all week, 12.15-15.00 (Sat & Sun 16.00); set L £17 (2 courses), £21 (3 courses); mains about £17 to £39 (including rice) – plus Dim Sum £4 to £9
- Dinner: all week, 18.15-23.00 (Sun 22.30); mains about £17 to £39 (including rice)
- Seats: 84, plus 16 outside
- Wine: a concise list kicks off in the early £20’s, but includes some impressive bottles
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Ladbroke Grove Underground
- Directions: close to Portobello Market - see the map on this page
- Parking: Street parking
- Closed: some Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating