It can be very difficult to book a table at this - perhaps London's most star-attracting eaterie - perhaps having to book months ahead for a prime-time table. The dining room is both relaxing and comfortable and the service slick, friendly and not at all stand-offish to mere mortals.
The food on offer is very traditional, and stretches from brasserie-type dishes such as 'Smoked Eel with Potato and Horseradish'; 'Steak Tartare' (also offered as a main course) and various soups to 'Sashimi - with hot ginger and soy dressing'; 'Sautéed Foie Gras' and Sevruga or Belyga Caviar - to begin.
Maybe 'Shepherd's Pie'; 'Black-Faced Mutton and Turnip Pie' and 'The Ivy Hamburger' to follow. Gourmet diners can be tempted by 'Roast Poulet des Landes with Madeira Sauce and Dauphin Potato (between 2); 'Ballindalloch Rib Steak - served on the bone with Béarnaise Sauce and Pommes Allumettes' or 'Thai-Baked Sea Bass, with Fragrant Rice and Soy Sauce'.
Vegetarians and Vegans have their own extensive menu, and all the ingredients used are very carefully sourced.
Desserts are again not over elaborate - but still delicious, with maybe 'Crème Brulée'; 'Honeycomb Ice Cream with Hot Chocolate Sauce' and ' Lemon Cheesecake with Amaretti' on offer.
There are a few savouries such as 'Welsh Rabbit' and excellent British Cheeses.
No Mobile Phones.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Mon-Weds 12.00-23.00, Thurs-Sat 12.00-23.30, Sun 12.00-22.30; mains about £19 to £43; set Menu Mon-Fri 14.30-18.00, Sun all day; £23.50 (2 courses), £27.50 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Weds 12.00-23.00, Thurs-Sat 12.00-23.30, Sun 12.00-22.30; mains about £19 to £43; set Post Theatre D after 22.00 £23.50 (2 courses), £27.50 (3 courses)
- Seats: 100
- Wine: an excellent list is on the pricy side, and kicks off in the mid £30's
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes
- Nearest station: Leicester Square Underground
- Directions: just off Martins Street, close to Long Acre. See the map on this page.
- Parking: Street parking or NCP
- Closed: 25th and 26th Dec, L 27th Dec, 1st Jan, Aug Bank Holidays
- Air conditioned