This excellent restaurant has a rather bistro-feel with its bare wooden tables and flickering candles - but with a few deviations, the menu is firmly-set in Britain; and their food is carefully sourced.
Starters on offer might include the likes of 'Mussels with Apples, Cider and Calvados'; 'Smoked Haddock Carpaccio with Fennel Seeds' and 'Goats' Cheese Soufflé'.
With maybe 'Yorkshire Fillet of Beef with Béarnaise Sauce, Gratin Potatoes and Glazed Carrots'; 'Ravioli of Butternut Squash with Kale and Sage Butter' or 'Pork Belly flavoured with Bay, with Pease Pudding with Turnips in Port' to follow.
Finish with 'Hot Prune and Brandy Soufflé'; 'White Chocolate Parfait with Rhubarb Compote'; 'Yorkshire Parkin with Toffee Crunch Ice Cream' or 'Pears in Spiced Red Wine with Cinnamon Ice Cream'.
Friendly and professional service. No mobile phones.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: Tues-Sat 12.00-14.00; set L £22 (2 courses), £26 (3 courses); mains £15 to £22
- Dinner: Mon-Sat 17.30-21.45; set D (between 17.30-18.15) from £22 (2 courses); Tasting Menu £38 (5 courses); mains £15 to £22
- Seats: 42
- Wine: a concise, but interesting list, kicks off at around £16
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: York Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: car park opposite
- Closed: all Sun, L Mon; 3 weeks Christmas, 1 week Aug.
- Air conditioned