A sleek eaterie in the basement of one of the city's top hotels. Tables are generously-spaced and the atmosphere romantic - making it ideal for business or that special occasion.
The kitchen goes the whole hog here with set menus - so expect canapés, an amuse bouche and a pre-dessert in their respective slots.
While starters might include the likes of 'Peanut-Crusted Scallops with Curried Oxtail and Parsnip Mousse'; 'Tartlet of Goats' Cheese, Leek and Wild Mushrooms, Celeriac Purée and Walnut Vinaigrette' and 'Game Terrine with Fig Chutney, Pickled Salsify and Sherry Vinaigrette'.
Perhaps follow with 'Poached Fillet of Beef, Turnip Slaw, Parmentier Potato and Red Wine Jus'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass with Ventreche Cassoulet, Artichoke Barigoule and Truffle Foam' and 'Pan-Fried Loin of Venison, Dauphinoise Potatoes, Braised Red Cabbage, Arran Mustard Jus'.
Desserts are beautifully presented and taste just as good, with perhaps 'Passion Fruit Soufflé with Exotic Fruit Tartlet and Coconut Sorbet' and 'Chocolate and Orange Tart with Orange Salad, Orange Ice Cream' among the offerings.
Cheese lovers can't fail to be tempted by their excellent Cheese trolley.
Service is professional and suitably 'invisible'.
- Food Style: Modern European
- Dinner: all week, 18.30-22.00; Pre-theatre set D £45 (3 courses, before 19.00); set D 68 (3 courses), Tasting Menu £75 (7 courses whole table only); mains £25.50 to £27
- Seats: 55
- Wine: a list that travels the world, offers little under £30
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Waverley Station
- Directions: at the eastern end of Princes Street, next to Waverley Station. See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes, but limited
- Closed: L all week; first two weeks Jan
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available