The Anchor sits on the banks of the New Bedford River (also known as 'The Hundred Foot Drain'), created when the swampy area was drained for agricultural use during the mid 17th century.
Nowadays it's a pleasant country inn offering good food and four comfortable bedrooms. Although there's a small bar, the pub is really geared up for eating.The cosy dining room still retains a sense of history with its wood-panelled walls, solid pine furnishings and romantic evening gaslights and candles.
Expect the likes of 'Bottisham Smoked Duck Breast with Mixed Leaves and an Orange reduction'; 'Caramelised Red Onion and Goats Cheese Tartlet'; Rabbit & Bacon Terrine with Tomato Chutney' and 'Red Mullet with Vanilla Cream Sauce' to be among the starters.
'Pan-fried Supreme of Guinea Fowl with Braised Red Cabbage, Garlic & Cheese Croquette Potato & Red Wine Jus'; 'Fillet of Sea Bass on Crab & Dill Crushed New Potatoes with Sauce Vierge & Ribbons of Soused Courgettes' and 'Linguine with Fresh Pesto, Leeks, Sun-Blush Tomatoes, Rocket and Shaved Parmesan to follow.
Finish with 'Chocolate Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream' or something offbeat such as 'Lemongrass Pannacotta with Sweet Chili and Coconut Sorbet. In fine weather, you can dine on the terrace overlooking the river. Less elaborate bar meals are also offered throughout the week.
No mobile phones in the dining room.
- Food Style: Best Pubs for Food
- Lunch: all week, 12.00-14.00; set L Mon-Fri £13.95 (2 courses), £17.95 (3 courses); mains £13 to £25
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-21.00 (Sat 18.30-21.30); mains about £13 to £25
- Seats: 60, plus about 20 outside
- Wine: an interesting list has modest mark-ups, and offers over half a dozen by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible, plus an interesting Children
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Ely Rail
- Directions: See the map on this page - or follow signs from B1381 at Sutton Village, 7 miles/8km west of Ely by A142
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: enquire about Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available