An excellent fish and chip shop, with a restaurant attached. They won the prestigious title of 'Britain's Best Takeaway' in the BBC 2007 Food Awards; and were National Champions of UKTV Food Heroes in 2008 - so if you like your fish and chips, they're worth a special detour.
Apart from their 'normal' but excellent fish & chips, they offer 'Maryland Crab Cakes', 'Salmon & Cod Tartare Fish Cakes', 'Mussels', 'Battered Squid' and sometimes 'Lobster' (served with chips and a chilli/garlic dip).
There's a children's menu, plus a list of a few school-type puds.
- Food Style: Fish and Chip Shops - The Best
- Lunch: all week 11.00-18.00; eat-in about £8 to £14
- Wine: a short list kicks of at about £14
- Children's portions: Yes, including their own short menu
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: South Shields
- Closed: some religious Bank holidays (i.e. 25th Dec)