Find this luxury hotel at the end of a long drive just outside Milton Abbot. This is the edge of Dartmoor and this Grade 1 listed building was once a shooting and fishing lodge owned by the Dukes of Bedford.
The kitchen offers excellent dishes, using as much local produce as possible (the kitchen prides itself that 95% of its offerings are local) - they are also modestly-priced considering the quality on offer.
Expect the likes of 'Terrine of Smoked Duck, Chicken and Foie Gras with Sauce Gribiche, Pickled Grapes and Truffle Mayonnaise'; 'Glazed Pork Belly with Wild Mushrooms, Fried Egg and Foie Gras Sauce' and 'Lemon Sole with Spiced Lentils, Roast Scallop and Bitter Orange Purée' among the starters.
Perhaps 'Rump of Lamb, baby Gem Lettuce, Braised Lamb Shoulder, Roasted Aubergine Purée and Black Olives'; 'Fillet of Brill with Crusted Potatoes, Vegetables à la Greque and Braised Oxtail' or 'Best End of Saddleback Pork, Spring Cabbage, Butternut Squash Tortellini, Baby Turnips and Cider Sauce' among the mains.
Finish with desserts, such as 'Valrhona Chocolate Mousse' or their excellent selection of farmhouse cheeses.
- Food Style: Modern British
- Lunch: all week, 12.30-14.30; set L£22 (2 courses), £26 (3 courses)
- Dinner: all week, 19.00-22.00; set D £44 (3 courses)
- Seats: 40, plus 40 outside
- Wine: a comprehensive wine list kicks off in the mid £20's, and includes some serious bottles
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Parking: Yes
- Closed: check about Christmas openings
- Outside eating
- Rooms available