Find this good Italian neighbourhood restaurant just off Upper Street in Islington. The large dining room has bare wooden tables, stone floors and walls festooned with modern artwork - some surreal.
On the food front, the cooking is serious, and many traditional Italian dishes have been given a modern twist. So expect to find the likes of 'Salad of Grilled Pear, Rucola and Pecorino Cheese'; 'Sicilian Mussel Soup with Garlic Bruschetta' and 'Paté of Foie Gras with Brioche and Caramelised Shallots' among the starters.
A 'Secundi' course can be taken at this point, for those with the appetite - the choice being fairly extensive, but 'Potato Gnocchi Dumplings with Fresh Tomato and Mozzarella' and 'Ravioli of Octopus with Basil, Spring Onions and Cherry Tomatoes' have both been praised.
With maybe 'Grilled Swordfish, Thyme, Lemon and Chili with Grilled Vegetables'; 'Pan-Fried Calf's Liver with Garlic and Balsamic Vinegar - served with Tempura' and 'Grilled Rib-Eye with Paprika Sauce and Big Chips' to follow.
Try to leave room for dessert, as they're way above the standard found in most Italian restaurants - perhaps including 'Pecorino Cheese Ice Cream with Poached Pear' and 'Chocolate Pudding with Forest Fruit and Punt e Mess Sorbet. There are also excellent Italian cheeses, served with Mustard Fruits.
- Food Style: Italian
- Lunch: Fri-Sun, 12.00-14.30; mains from £8.50 to £19.50
- Dinner: Mon-Sat, 18.30-22.30 (Fri & Sat 23.00); mains £12.50 to £19.50
- Seats: 65
- Wine: a good Italian list, which covers all the regions, kicks off at a reasonable £16.50
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, but not lavatory
- Nearest station: Angel Underground
- Directions: Between Upper Street and Liverpool Road. See the map at the top of the page.
- Parking: Street parking.
- Closed: L Mon-Thurs, D Sun, 25th & 26th Dec, Easter Sun & Mon
- Air conditioned