Situated in what was once the Pearl Assurance Building, and now part of the Chancery Court Hotel, this excellent restaurant offers French food with a modern twist. The splendid marble dining room, with columns and pearl-like chandeliers has its own entrance, and the clever use of lighting makes a romantic setting.
Jun Tanaka heads a kitchen team that offers food that looks as good as it tastes. Perhaps begin with 'Sliced Monkfish, Herb Risotto and a Clam Gratin'; 'Warm Salad of peppered Venison, Red Cabbage Coleslaw and Redcurrant Jus' or 'Oxtail Tortellini with a Ginger Vinaigrette and Crispy Oysters'.
Perhaps follow with the likes of 'Lightly-spiced Sea Bream with a Tomato and Avocado Compote, White Onion Purée and Crab Croquettes'; 'Rack of Lamb with a Herb Crust, Gratinated Swiss Chard and Braised Neck'; 'Saddle of Rabbit with a Veal and Sweetbread Stuffing' or 'Chargrilled Cutlet of Black Pig, Chorizo and Lentil Salsa with Red Pepper Purée and Roast Langoustines'.
Desserts aren't to be missed, and like all the food, look stunning; with perhaps 'Prune Custard Tart with Walnut Ice Cream'; 'Cheesecake of Brillat-Savarin with Citrus Terrine' or 'Salted Caramel Mousse, Chiolled Apple Compote and Hazelnut Ice Cream' among the offerings. While cheese lovers will be spoilt for choice by their selection of Artisan varieties.
Professional and knowledgeable service.
- Food Style: Modern French
- Lunch: Mon-Fri, 12.00-14.30; set L £19 (2 courses), £23 (3 courses)
- Dinner: Mon-Sat D, 18.00-22.00; set D £50 (2 courses) to £60; Tasting Menu £70
- Seats: 70
- Wine: a list that covers the world, kicks off at around £20, but prices rise steeply after that
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Holborn Underground
- Directions: See the map at the top of this page.
- Closed: L Sat; all Sun; some Bank Holidays; Christmas to New Year, Easter, last 2 weeks in August
- Air conditioned
- Rooms available