A good fusion restaurant with a relaxing tapas and drinks operation on the ground floor and a more comfortable, and serious, dining room above.
The cooking is under the excellent control of New Zealander and his menus offer dishes stretching from Scotland to the Pacific Rim.
The menu makes an interesting read and takes a little time - especially if choosing to eat downstairs - where food is offered all day.
The main restaurant offers the likes of 'Grilled Scallops with a Plantain Fitter, Sweet Chili Sauce and Salted Coconut Milk' and 'Salad of Tea-Smoked Salmon with Mango, Spiced Candied Pecans and Avocado'.
Maybe to be followed by 'Pan-Fried Monkfish with Braised Morcilla and Puy Lentils'; 'Crab-Crusted Halibut on Sweet Roast Potato, Shitake Mushrooms and Bok Choy with a Red Lentil Coconut Sauce' or 'Loin of New Zealand Venison on Braised Chicory, Jersey Royals and a Sultana and Caper Salsa'.
There are a few interesting desserts, such as 'Pear, poached with a Lime Leaf and Guava Sorbet Ripple and Black Cardamom Syrup' and 'Spiced Sugar Rice Fritter with Rhubarb Tapioca, Roast Plums and Guava Honey Ripple Honey Ripple Ice Cream' plus a few excellent cheeses - such as Lincolnshire Poacher and Colston Bassett Stilton.
Service is friendly and professional, but goes along with the general buzz of the enterprise.
A weekend brunch menu is very popular.
- Food Style: Fusion
- Lunch: Mon-Fri 12.00-14.45, Sat & Sun Brunch 10.00-14.45; mains about £17 to £25; Tapas Small Plates about £6 to £13
- Dinner: all week 18.00-22.30 (Sun 22.00); mains about £18 to £25; set D £35 (2 courses), £49 (3 courses), £56 (4 courses); Tapas Small Plates about £6 to £13
- Seats: 80, plus about 6 outside
- Wine: a good list has plenty from New Zealand and starts in the mid £20's and offers an excellent selection by the glass
- Children's portions: Yes, when possible
- Wheelchair access: Yes, including lavatory
- Nearest station: Baker Street or Bond Street Undergrounds
- Directions: See the map on this page
- Closed: check about Christmas openings
- Air conditioned
- Outside eating